Sunday, April 6, 2008

Loaf #4

[picture of a loaf]

Today's second loaf was a variant of Loaf #2. This time the process was a bit different: I let my sourdough culture sit, after removal from the fridge, for about 18 hours, at which point I removed a small bit to use in the dough for Loaf #3, and then merely doubled the culture's mass by adding water and flour. Again, I let it sit for about 18 hours, and again about doubled its size by adding water and flour (after removing a small bit for use as a seed for a new culture that went in the fridge), and also some salt. I let this dough to ferment for about two hours, then transferred it to a pan where I let it proof for about an hour. I baked it in 200 °C with a pan full of water in the same oven for about an hour; crumb temperature after removal was about 90 °C.

Texture and taste report will be added later.

ETA Crumb looks very nice with unexpectedly large holes. Taste is as one expects from sour pure rye bread.

[picture of a slice]

No comments: