Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bread #2

[picture of a loaf]

Today's second loaf is a simple sour rye bread. I took most of my sourdough culture (about 300 grams), mixed it in about 600 grams of water, added a couple of grams salt and mixed slowly in 800 grams of traditionally threshed (smoked) organic rye flour. I let the dough ferment for about six hours. Then I transferred it onto my floured peel-substitute, formed a loaf, added flour on top, and transferred the loaf in the preheated oven on a hot baking stone. I baked it for about an hour, first in 200 °C, then after about thirty minutes lowered it to 150 °C. Upon removal from the oven, crumb temperature was about 88 °C.

A taste and texture report will have to wait for a couple of days, as I want to eat the other bread first.

ETA Taste is sour and sharp, typical for rye breads. The crust was soft, which to me indicates that I should have started in a higher temperature. Crumb texture was fairly typical, with small holes.

[picture of a slice]

No comments: