Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bread #1

(ETA a title)

[picture of bread]

Today's first bread is a no-knead sourdough with wheat and soy. I took a spoonful of my rye-based sourdough culture, dissolved it in 800 grams of water, added 300 grams of soy flour, about 20 grams of olive oil and a couple of grams of salt, and whisked it thoroughly to aerate the mixture well. Then I mixed in 500 grams of bread flour. I let the dough ferment for about 12 hours in room temperature, then transferred it to a large pan (diameter of 26 centimeters) and let it proof for about three hours. I added liberal amounts of oil on top (estimate about 30-40 grams), I baked it for a bit longer than an hour in a preheated oven, first at 200 °C, then when I noticed that the oil was smoking, lowered the temperature to 175 °C. At the end of the bake, I used 220 °C for about five to ten minutes. Crumb temperature was about 90 °C when I had removed the bread from the oven and the pan.

I will update later with a report on crumb texture and taste, once it has cooled down.

ETA The crumb seems to have a rather nice, irregular texture, though I was hoping for it to be a bit more holey :) The bread is incredibly easy to cut and feels wonderful in general. The taste is sour, as expected, but creamy and quite pleasant.

[picture of the crumb]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just finished breakfast with biscuits and eggs and sausage, and this still looks good to me.